January 30, 2021
If you believe that your home is missing something but can’t put your finger on it, this article might help you. Feature walls have become very popular and are regularly recommended by interior designers. A feature wall will bring a dose of visual interest and spice things up, without overwhelming the space.
In this post, we explain the basics about feature walls and how to pull off this design trend.
What is a feature wall?
A feature wall is a wall that adds visual interest to a room, through pattern, texture, or colour. There are so many ways to create a feature wall, so anyone can find the thing that suits their budget and style. Whether you prefer to add contrast, a subtle print, or distinctive shapes to enhance your interior style, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Monochrome walls might create a clean look and bring cohesive aesthetics. However, the interior can end up looking underwhelming, dare I say dull. By making one wall stand out, you bring a dose of playfulness and dimension.
How do you create an outstanding wall? Depending on the style and vibes you want to get, this can be done using texture or a bold colour. This simple and inexpensive feature will change the overall appearance and add a unique look to your space, without costing much money.
Where do you use them?
- Any room at home can become the perfect spot for a feature wall. Whether you want to add visual interest to the dining room, living room, or kids room, be sure that there are many convenient options.
- A feature wall is a good trick to make small rooms feel more spacious. It adds dimension, making the space visually larger.
- A feature wall is a great option if you want to divide a large space visually. This is a secret trick that interior decorators use when designing open-plan homes. An accent wall will help you divide the space into separate areas when there is no clear border between them.
- If you have your living and dining area together, add an accent wall to make the dining room stand out. Or, make a clear distinction between the bedroom and your home office.
Best materials for a feature wall
Adding an accent wall to your home is easier than you thought. There are lots of options available, meaning that you can choose the materials that match your needs. Paint would be the most obvious solution, as it is pretty cheap and flexible to experiment with.
However, don’t let this limit your creativity and options. Wallpaper is another affordable option, available in a wide range of styles and patterns. Wallpaper is easy to install, making this an easy DIY project that you can complete within one weekend. If you prefer to add a dose of natural texture, consider wall cladding.
What are the most popular options out there?
Marble accent wall
While marble is luxurious and high-end material, you don’t need to pay a fortune to have a sleek pattern. There are plenty of marble wallpaper designs, from subtle to bold and outstanding. The best thing is that there are peel-off choices available if you don’t like messy projects. On the other hand, this allows easy removal, and our walls will remain intact.
Wall cladding is the process of layering another material on your walls. If you want to bring natural texture and the beauty of the raw and unfinished look, consider stone wall cladding. The elements are high-quality faux stones, which are very lightweight. This is an excellent option for spaces that need a touch of organic texture and warmth. Whether it is the area around the fireplace or the bathroom, keep in mind that wall cladding will make a huge difference.
When it comes to wall cladding, you have a wide variety of textures, finishes, and sizes to choose from. When you’re after the natural and unfinished look, go for free form stone wall cladding. If you want to bring a clean and minimalist aesthetic, stick with linear walling.
Paint is a cheap and convenient material, to begin with. However, it does limit you regarding patterns and texture. Use tape to create your own DIY geometric wall with the colours that fit your interior colour scheme. Geometric walls are a popular trend, adding visual interest in a brilliant way. When you feel like your home needs a change, you can repaint the wall to refresh the interior style.
Have a look at vinyl wall covering options as well, geometric shape can easily be printed on vinyl and you’ll find options fairly easily. Bonus: it is easy to clean.
The right approach to adding a feature wall
- Choosing bold colours is perfect, as long as you keep them in the range of your existing colour scheme. Your feature wall needs to be cohesive with the rest of the elements, so make sure to fit it flawlessly.
- Interior designers use the 60-30-10 rule to find the right fit. It is all about using 60% light colours, 30% dark colour, and 10% for detailing. This formula helps you create a cohesive space, so follow it to determine your feature wall colours.
- Put effort into finding the focal point. You don’t just pick a random walk and turn it into an accent wall. In the living room, a focal point is a wall with the TV. Or, the one where the fireplace sits can also be the right choice. For bedrooms, go bold with the wall behind the headboard.
What should you avoid doing?
- Don’t add an accent wall in an overcrowded room. When the room already looks busy, you don’t need to add additional interest. This can look not very clear to the eye.
- The wrong approach can result in a cluttered look. The room might feel smaller than it is, so be careful when decorating small spaces.
- Be aware of how colour choices affect your daily activities. Intense and energetic colours such as red or purple, will disturb your sleep. Avoid these for the bedroom, and instead, opt for green or blue.