October 17, 2018
Wood look flooring has become increasingly popular over the years as the preferred choice of flooring in homes. Wood look flooring brings the aesthetic appeal of traditional wood boards for half the price of timber flooring as well as a whole list of benefits.
Two variations to consider are porcelain and ceramic, both are extremely versatile and durable, and come in a wide range of patterns and designs to help you achieve that wooden finish without the maintenance that timber requires.
Porcelain and ceramic wood look tiles
Porcelain and ceramic wood look tiles provide an aesthetic wooden finish whilst being inexpensive and easy to maintain option allowing homeowners to achieve their dreams without clearing out the bank.
Advantages of porcelain and ceramic wood look tiles
- Value – In comparison to timber flooring, porcelain wood look tiles are an affordable and inexpensive option in achieving traditional wooden finish.
- Durability – Porcelain is extremely durable and is highly resistant to scratches, stains, moisture, fading, heavy loads and harsh cleaning agents.
- Maintenance – very easy to maintain and can be simply cleaned with a quick vacuum and mop. Use mild cleaning agents for stubborn stains.
- Versatility – with a hardness rating of PEI 4/5 porcelain tiles are quite versatile and are excellent for high foot traffic zones. Wood look tiles are perfect for kitchens, bathrooms, laundry’s and even bedrooms.
- Customizable – Wood look porcelain tiles come in a wide variety of patterns, styles and designs to achieve a unique wooden finish.
- Sustainability and eco-friendly – arguably one of the biggest benefits to wood look tiles is that they are far more sustainable and eco-friendly in comparison to timber flooring. Porcelain and ceramic tiles are created from natural clay as opposed to cutting precious trees down for wooden floorboards.
- Allergy friendly – unlike carpet where allergens can collect, dust, pollen and the allergens stand out against the surface and can be easily wiped away using a mop or vacuum.
Disadvantages of porcelain and ceramic wood look tiles
- Comfort – we sacrifice a bit of comfort when it comes to porcelain and ceramic tiles as these types of flooring are naturally hard. During the winter season the tiles can also be quite cold and can give you a shock especially in the bathroom. This is where rugs or mats come in handy.
- Weight – tiles are naturally quite heavy so this can limit tiles to lower levels of the house where a stronger floor is required.
- Installation – tiling is quite labor intensive and tricky to install. Always best to leave this to the professionals.
- Sealant – unglazed tiles and grout will need to be sealed to prevent mould and grime from building up.
Wood look tiles aim to provide a natural and aesthetically pleasing wooden finish without the hassle of high maintenance and costs. It is an eco-friendly and sustainable alternative type of flooring that is completely customizable, highly versatile and can even increase the value of your home.