February 14, 2020
Luxury vinyl flooring is a popular flooring type not only for it’s genuine good looks, but for just how easy it is to clean and maintain.
You’ll find it in just about any Aussie home these days, as more homeowners are looking for a flooring option that is affordable, low maintenance, and visually pleasing.
However, recent trends have shown luxury vinyl to be found just about anywhere, including well within the commercial industry, especially in restaurants, office spaces, hospitals and schools.
The key benefits of vinyl flooring:
- Easy-to-clean and low maintenance
- Professionally installed, LVT is virtually waterproof.
- Is warm, soft and comfortable underfoot.
- Extremely durable, made to last and can withstand heavy foot traffic areas.
- Luxury vinyl tiles and planks are very easy to install.
But just how easy-to-clean is luxury vinyl tiles and planks? For those who are thinking about transforming their office space or renovating their home, here’s the easiest way to clean and maintain luxury vinyl flooring.
How to clean and maintain LVT?
1. Give it a quick sweep or vacuum every day
As much as it sounds like a chore, it’s extremely easy to do and highly beneficial in prolonging the lifespan of your vinyl and maintaining its good looks. This way you avoid dirt and dust accumulating and being tracked everywhere around the house or being embedded into the vinyl.
Alternatively, you can vacuum or use a microfibre dust mop. Avoid using abrasive materials and brushes as this can damage the vinyl.
2. Clean up spills immediately
Spills should never be left to dry. Things like sugary drinks can be much harder to remove once dried, even water can cause damage to the flooring if it’s left for too long. Cleaning up spills right away will keep your vinyl flooring looking good as new for longer and save you in the long run.
3. Use a damp mop to remove dirt
For dirt and grime that is a little harder to remove, create a mild vinegar and warm water solution. To avoid drenching your vinyl flooring with a tsunami of water, we recommend putting the solution into a spray bottle and applying a mist.
4. Pick the right cleanser
We recommend using a pH neutral cleanser diluted in water. Avoid any cleaners that contain bleach, washing liquid or general cleaning products, unless it has been specified on the bottle that it is suitable for LVT. Using incorrect cleaners can damage the vinyl, causing discolouration and deterioration of the protective wear layer.
5. Deep clean every 6 months
We recommend giving your luxury vinyl a deep clean every 6 months or so to strip away any built-up dirt and grime or soapy residue from previous cleanse. This will help restore the beautiful look of your LVT and bring back that brand new sheen.
6. Maintenance tips
- Place down floor mats in front of doors in high traffic areas to help prevent dirt and dust from being tracked around the house.
- Fit heavy furniture and appliances with floor protectors (can be found at any hardware store) will help prevent them leaving a dent behind. Pro-tip: If you have any off-cut pieces of vinyl, these will do wonders underneath furniture including chairs, tables, fridges and so on.
- Avoid using a vacuum with a beater bar as it can scratch and damage your LVT.
- Avoid dragging heavy furniture as this can tear the vinyl. Always lift heavy furniture off the ground before moving.
- Avoid steam cleaners at all costs. Steam cleaners force moisture into the seams and breaks down the adhesive holding the vinyl down. This will cause your vinyl flooring to become loose and lift.
- Vinyl exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time will cause it to fade. Keep the curtains and blinds closed if no one is occupying the room. However, there is now fade resistant LVT thanks to modern advancements in technology.
- To reduce the amount of dirt brought into your home, take off your shoes before entering your home.
- Keep all pets nails trimmed to prevent scratches on the floor.
- The best way to remove scuff marks is to apply a splash of jojoba oil onto a soft cloth and give it a good rub.
Want to know more about Luxury Vinyl flooring?
We have a few articles you can refer to:
- Luxury Vinyl Tiles/Planks Vs Hardwood Flooring
- Luxury Vinyl Tile Vs Ceramic Tile
- The Best Flooring for a Commercial Space
If in doubt, always check your manufacturer’s warranty for the do’s and don’ts. Or you can always contact the professionals at Jupps Floor Coverings Perth for expert advice on how to maintain your vinyl flooring.